Monday, September 04, 2006

RIP

I am so stunned! The man who made me look at reptiles - crocs in particular - with new found respect, is dead. Steve Irwin, popularly known as the Crocodile Hunter, died after being pierced by a sting ray barb while shooting for a documentary. Irwin was famous for wrestling with crocs and plunging recklessly into dangerous situations, so its rather sad that he had to go this way.

What impressed me about Irwin was that he really seemed to care about the animals, you could almost feel his passion reaching out through the TV tube. I remember watching a show when he sat amongst a lemur family for hours in order for the lemurs to get used to his presence. I stopped watching his show after a few years though, when it became difficult to see where the man ended and the persona began. Still, a great loss.

No comments: