Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Appalling

Read this at feministing- women who essentially have husbands that run their lives: one husband picks out his wife's outfits and hairstyles, another insists that she shave his face and put his toothpaste on his toothbrush, there is even one woman who is blindfolded when she and her husband drive so she's not tempted to offer help with directions.

I am shocked beyond words. Surrendered wives who have no say whatsoever in anything - shopping, child bearing, finances, sex. OH. MY. GOD. How can these women put up with such stuff? How traumatized are these morons?

3 comments:

Pumpkin said...

To copy your words...OH. MY. GOD!!!!
That whole idea was floating around in the UK a few years ago, and I remember thinking...'yeah right, like anyone's going to want to live their life that way!'.....and actually, it seems they do.
You know, I think that there are women in this world who do not like making their own choices and decisions, and I'm sure they would fit into this lifestyle with a big sigh of relief.......but I prefer to take responsibility for myself, having stopped living with my PARENTS a long time ago.
Good Grief...someone buy that poor woman a cattle prod so that next time her husband thinks that his woman 'will change her mind in a few minutes', she can at least have some fun before succumbing!

U No Hoo said...

Am surprised that you are shocked that these things happen. I mean, all this has been going one for ages for sure. And no matter what we do, will take a long time before such news are really rare.

For a lot of such women, inaction is the best measure. For some reasons they believe that the benefit of taking some actions is more than the cost of inaction. And let's not forget that even now, for a majority of India, divorce is a taboo and an option that must be seldom used.

AI said...

This is absurd! I still don't believe that such a thing could happen. You always hear a couple of stories here and there but actually there are so many people like that....

One thing comes to my mind, I had a friend who would never say a word against her husband, and he was an amazing guy, so I thought she was either making things up she was just an MCP... but after reading this article... I really don't know what to say...