Monday, June 04, 2007

When will they stop killing the gods of the modern age?

Was discussing Che Guevara on Saturday night. I admit, most of my information on the man came primarily from a Russian (read Communist) biography that I read when Dad wasn't around the house to stop me from reading it. But one thing went straight into my head (and heart!) - this was a man who fought in a foreign land for something he believed in, won, became a hot shot, gave it all up and went to another foreign land to fight for his ideals. Enough to captivate any 14-year old. So I hate the fact that he is being commercialized (with the exception of the recent Motorcycle Diaries). Today's DNA has this to say:

What is sure to be causing his followers much concern is that Che is fast becoming like the marijuana leaf - street cool, he’s no longer the symbol of a revolution.

Time had a more balanced opinion when they picked him as one of the 100 most powerful people in the 1900s. I love the last lines - The powerful of the earth should take heed: deep inside that T shirt where we have tried to trap him, the eyes of Che Guevara are still burning with impatience. I hope so.

No comments: