Monday, April 02, 2007

I loved 'em all

Once upon a time, someone who was a friend told me that he would've love The Doors even if Morrison hadn't been a part of the band. I disagreed with him then, and I disagree with him now. Morrison's beautiful lyrics and resonant vocals will always be an integral part of The Doors. But then I'd always admired the way the other 3 members (Ray Manzarek, Robby Krieger and John Densmore) made music together. When Jimmy boy was going bonkers on stage, doing his wild shaman routine, the trio got their chance to create some really beautiful music.

It was magic, the way the music just went wild even as their lead singer went about enthralling the crowd. Was Jim doing the other three disservice by distracting the crowd with his antics? I suppose, but then he wasn't a rock god for nothing. While I don't agree with the concept of the 20th Century Doors (I'll make an exception if they rope in Eddie Vedder!) and I absolutely hate the remixes (its blasphemy!), I love them for their wonderful music. If only they'd stop using Morrison lookalikes even as they trumpet that they were the brains behind the music, and stop making fools of themselves!

No comments: